apr-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Stas's proposed symbol renames
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2004 00:39:08 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 01:07:05PM -0500, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Anybody cares to followup? Since no one cares I'm not sure I should be
>>doing that.
>

> Well, since you really want feedback... ;) I often think this "naming
> correctness" stuff goes too far, it just makes the API too verbose and
> it can become unwieldy and ugly.  Do you genuinely get confused by the
> existing names?

I do. But not confused. I find it hard to figure out what's a constant
means when reading code. Adding a non-ambiguous prefix helps resolve that
issue.

Short constants work great when they are used in enum, which is used in
struct, so you always have a field name which is unambigous. When the
constant is hanging in the air alone, it's not easy to get what does it do.

But that's not the point. I've posted the proposal back in May, it's been
dragging since then with 2 +1s and zero feedback in-between. Since there
is no general acceptance to this rename idea, I don't feel like it's the
right thing to do. But on the other hand none said no. So I'm lost. Now
I've committed one rename, and it's not clear if it's going to stay or
not. So if the majority says no, I just back it out and move on. If yes,
then I commit the other things and move on. But silence brings me nowhere.

Thanks for the followup, Joe.