apr-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: broken apr_brigade_cleanup?
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:53:54 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 11:15:54AM -0500, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>apr_brigade_cleanup looks wrong:
>>
>>APU_DECLARE(apr_status_t) apr_brigade_cleanup(void *data)
>>{
>>    apr_bucket_brigade *b = data;
>>    apr_bucket *e;
>>
>>shouldn't it be:
>>
>>    apr_bucket_brigade *b = (apr_bucket_brigade *)data;
>

> Explicit casts from void * to other pointer types are only needed for
> really old pre-ISO C compilers on which APR probably doesn't work
> anyway.

Understood.

>>why does it have (void *data) argument? why is this inconsistent with:
>>
>>  APU_DECLARE(apr_status_t) apr_brigade_destroy(apr_bucket_brigade *b);
>

> Yes, it should be consistent with _destroy, that looks like a
> copy'n'paste mistake from the brigade_cleanup function possibly.

So can this be fixed in 0.9x? or only 1.1?

>>it seems to work fine on linux but on windows causes all kind of crashes.
>

> The only practical effect is the lost type-safety, it's otherwise fine.
> If you fix the prototype in apr-util and rebuild mod_perl/etc does that
> reveal any compiler warnings?

Well, the problem is that a big chunk of perl XS glue code is
autogenerated. And this void stuff seems to break windows (I don't run
windows, just passing along the information reported by Randy).

I'll try to write an explicit wrapper, rather than using the automatically
written wrapper (which relies on the prototype).