apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Backport and release policy for APR and APR-UTIL...
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2004 23:21:25 GMT
On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 01:29:02PM -0500, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Brad Nicholes wrote:
>
> > release of APR 1.0.  Since then there has been a lot of activity in
> > TRUNK as compared to almost no activity in the 1.0.x branch.
>
> After the 1.0.x branch was created at ApacheCon, Justin and Thom
> backported everything that they thought could be backported without
> breaking binary compatibility...

Correct.

I don't think we need to have as strict an RTC policy as httpd - but the only
issue is that any change that is backported can not break binary compatibility
at *all*.  Bumping the minor version (1.0->1.1) can add new functions, but it
can't change any existing functions at all.  And, bumping the major version
(i.e. 2.0) causes all bets to be off.  =)  -- justin