apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHO...@novell.com>
Subject More informative SVN subject line (Re: svn commit: r76284 - apr/apr/trunk)
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2004 21:41:42 GMT
   I'm sure that last thing that you want to hear is another complaint
after all of the work you have gone to, but I'm not sure just listing
directories is a better compromise.  At least before I could see the
difference between CHANGES and STATUS, now I just see "trunk" which
could be any one of a number of files.  Not all of which I am interested
in.  Personally I would opt for file listings rather than directory
listings to keep the subject line shorter and more informative.  I also
don't need to see "svn commit: rxxxx" at the front of every message.  I
already know it is an SVN commit based on the mailing list it came from.
 And if I am really interested in the revision number, I'm sure I can
get that from the message content.

Thanks again for all of your hard work.

Brad

>>> Justin Erenkrantz <justin@erenkrantz.com> Friday, November 19, 2004
12:12:39 PM >>>
--On Friday, November 19, 2004 11:11 AM -0700 Brad Nicholes
<BNICHOLES@novell.com> wrote:

>    Now that we have converted to SVN, why doesn't the subject line
> include the file that is being changed in the commit message?  This
> makes it harder to prioritize patches that need to be reviewed.

Our CVS mailer only showed the last directory (with files) that was
committed - so subject lines were *always* inaccurate when touching
multiple directories.  The SVN mailer always shows all directories that

were modified.  I think that's a far better compromise.  Plus, we've
received a number of complaints that the subject lines were too long to
be
useful: hence just the directory names.  *shrug*  -- justin