apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: 2.2 roadmap with respect to APR was Re: [NOTICE] CVS to SVN
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:17:20 GMT
--On Monday, November 22, 2004 11:27 AM -0500 Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com>
wrote:

> I agree... Otherwise, we won't see many people move to
> 2.2 since 3rd party modules won't be available for it,
> since module developers will know that within a "short"
> amount of time, they'll need to "redo" their modules
> for the 64bit fixes.

I expect that as it stands right now most 2.0 modules will compile for 2.2
with very minor (if any) changes.  If we 'fix' 64-bit issues now, then that
means that their modules are going to undergo massive changes.  That *will*
affect the 2.2 uptake rate because our third parties will take a lot of time
to get their modules 64-bit clean (if they do at all).

I still think this needs to be punted to 2.4.  It's just *way* too big.  We'll
also have to fix up all of httpd to be 64-bit clean.  And, that's going to
push 2.2 out even further.  This is something we should take our time on - not
try to rush out the door and then have to go back and clean up because we
rushed 2.2 (and APR 2.0) out the door.  No thanks.  -- justin