apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: apxs/apr-config/apu-config on Win32
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:30:51 GMT
At 11:51 AM 11/29/2004, Stas Bekman wrote:
>Randy Kobes wrote:
>>I've been testing out some perl scripts to emulate
>>apxs/apr-config/apu-config on Win32 (under Apache/2.0.x),
>>and was wondering if there was any interest in developing
>>them within the appropriate httpd/apr sources. At present
>>they can be installed via a perl script
>>    http://perl.apache.org/dist/win32-bin/install_apxs
>>This assumes an installed Apache binary with the associated
>>apr/aprutil libs, but it would be possible to separate out
>>the apxs from the apr/apu config utilties. In their present
>>form they're intended for building modules outside of the
>>httpd sources; they've been tested out on the c-modules
>>within the perl-framework under httpd-test, as well as those
>>under env/ of httpd-apreq-2, and they seem to work OK.
>
>+1
>
>Randy is a long time committer to the mod_perl project, so I'm sure that if the proposed
scripts are integrated with apr/httpd, Randy will be able to maintain those, once the right
karma is added. There are very few brave folks who handle the win32 world, so let's make it
easier for them to help the disadventaged win32 users.

++1 - this is a wonderful thing.

One note - I'd like to see this stripped to the point where you
don't have a ton of dependencies on additional modules.  Would
be nice to distribute without the need to use Makemaker.  Is
this possible?  (Putting necessary .pm stubs in the same tree
as apxs and letting it run out-of-the-box?)

Bill