apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: 2.2 roadmap with respect to APR was Re: [NOTICE] CVS to SVN migration complete
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:18:43 GMT
At 10:08 AM 11/22/2004, Bill Stoddard wrote:
>William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

at a measured pace, but we shouldn't intend to hold httpd 2.2 for that.  -- justin

>>>+1. Of course, I am assuming that his 64bit fixes will likely
>>>break binary compatibility.
>>
>>It does - that's the rub.  And, for 2.2, this was always the plan.
>
>And that's precisely the reason we should attack the 64 bit problem for 2.2. This will
give the 2.2 series a much longer life than if we push off the 64 bit work to 2.4.

+1 - well said.  By the way, Allen was out for the week of
AC but returns this week, perhaps he can jump back into this
conversation.

Yes - I understand that this means 1.x will never be used by
httpd.  Version numbers are cheap.  The APR project should
become used to this, if they are active, and httpd moves at
it's normal pace, it would be easy to go through APR 2.x, 3.x,
and land somewhere in version 4.x by the time httpd 2.4 or 3.0
walks out the door.

Bill