apr-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: More informative SVN subject line (Re: svn commit: r76284 - apr/apr/trunk)
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2004 23:34:52 GMT
Brad Nicholes wrote:
>    I'm sure that last thing that you want to hear is another complaint
> after all of the work you have gone to, but I'm not sure just listing
> directories is a better compromise.  At least before I could see the
> difference between CHANGES and STATUS, now I just see "trunk" which
> could be any one of a number of files.  Not all of which I am interested
> in.  Personally I would opt for file listings rather than directory
> listings to keep the subject line shorter and more informative.  I also
> don't need to see "svn commit: rxxxx" at the front of every message.  I
> already know it is an SVN commit based on the mailing list it came from.
>  And if I am really interested in the revision number, I'm sure I can
> get that from the message content.

I agree with Brad.

Also what kind of usability one finds to get a 10 lines and more long
Subject? Here is an example of a recent commit.

Subject: svn commit: r105803 - in httpd/test/trunk/perl-framework: .
Apache-Test Apache-Test/lib/Apache Apache-Test/t Apache-Test/t/conf
c-modules c-modules/authany c-modules/client_add_filter c-modules/eat_post
c-modules/echo_post c-modules/echo_post_chunk c-modules/input_body_filter
c-modules/list_modules c-modules/nntp_like c-modules/random_chunk
c-modules/test_apr_uri c-modules/test_pass_brigade c-modules/test_rwrite
c-modules/test_ssl t t/conf t/conf/ssl t/htdocs/modules/access/htaccess
t/htdocs/modules/cgi t/htdocs/modules/rewrite t/modules

I think it'll be more useful to have the following Subject format:

$id $first_subdir/$first_file ($trunk)

in the example above (where only dirs were affected):

Subject: r105803 . (httpd/test/trunk/perl-framework)

If there was a file changed, e.g. Apache-Test/README

Subject: r105803 Apache-Test/README (httpd/test/trunk/perl-framework)

if you wish to retain 'svn' prefix, that's fine, but there is need to
waste space with 'svn commit'. e.g.: