apr-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r76284 - apr/apr/trunk
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2004 20:41:24 GMT

Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Friday, November 19, 2004 11:11 AM -0700 Brad Nicholes
> <BNICHOLES@novell.com> wrote:
>
>>    Now that we have converted to SVN, why doesn't the subject line
>> include the file that is being changed in the commit message?  This
>> makes it harder to prioritize patches that need to be reviewed.
>

> Our CVS mailer only showed the last directory (with files) that was
> committed - so subject lines were *always* inaccurate when touching
> multiple directories.  The SVN mailer always shows all directories that
> were modified.  I think that's a far better compromise.

really?  take a look at the current httpd commit page now on marc:

  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-cvs&r=1&b=200411&w=2

and compare it to the prior page

  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-cvs&r=2&b=200411&w=2

at least some of the commits in the past had the full filename in the
subject, making them much easier to scan.  if everything starts looking like
it does now we'll have 50 million commits where the subject starts "svn
commit: r105782 - httpd/httpd/branches/2.0.x/..." and runs off the edge of
your email client.

anyway, not to complain - you guys have been doing great work, and I'm very,
very appreciative that things went so smoothly.  but if there is a chance
that the commit email format can be made more useful, that would be great.

> Plus, we've
> received a number of complaints that the subject lines were too long to
> be useful: hence just the directory names.

httpd-test just had this subject

"svn commit: r105803 - in httpd/test/trunk/perl-framework: . Apache-Test
Apache-Test/lib/Apache Apache-Test/t Apache-Test/t/conf c-modules
c-modules/authany c-modules/client_add_filter c-modules/eat_post
c-modules/echo_post c-modules/echo_post_chunk c-modules/input_body_filter
c-modules/list_modules c-modules/nntp_like c-modules/random_chunk
c-modules/test_apr_uri c-modules/test_pass_brigade c-modules/test_rwrite
c-modules/test_ssl t t/conf t/conf/ssl t/htdocs/modules/access/htaccess
t/htdocs/modules/cgi t/htdocs/modules/rewrite t/modules"

which I guess means that no matter what you do it can be long.

--Geoff