apr-dev mailing list archives

From Garrett Rooney <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: apr_poll* changes
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2004 18:04:52 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:
> Joe Orton wrote:
>
>> Quite a lot of unnecessary whitespace changes, e.g:
>

> I believe all of these changes are in accordance with the style guidelines.
>
> I made style 'fixes' in the new files, and did the same with what is
> left of poll.c. I guess I shouldn't treat the changed poll.c as a new file?
>
> I can undo the style changes for poll.c if you want them in a separate
> patch.

The whitespace changes in this patch seem to be of two kinds.

First, there's just plain old whitespace cleanup (removing trailing
whitespace and whatnot).  This seems fine, but should be committed
separately from the rest of the patch as it makes it difficult to tell
what functional changes are being made.

Second there is an awful lot of changing from "foo *bar" to "foo * bar"
when pointers are declared.  I'm not sure what the style guide says
about this, but I can't find anything in APR now that uses the new style
you're using, so I'd personally prefer to just leave things as they are.
  Consistency seems more important than personal preference in this case.

Technically speaking I think this patch is a great step forward, it
makes the poll code considerably easier to read, and is a Good Thing
(tm), I'd just like to avoid having the functional changes obscured by
the intermingled whitespace changes.

-garrett