apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: APR 1.0.0 and CYGWIN
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:34:46 GMT
I should have added that the pseudo-fork and condition vars
on cygwin would actually be better preserved by using the
unix port.  In fact, if the cygwin build simply used the win32
apr_file_io code I'd be quite happy with it relying on the
other (unambiguous) features of the cygwin API.

Bill

At 04:47 PM 10/14/2004, Max Bowsher wrote:

>Cygwin is supposed to be unix-like. Packages shouldn't need to start applying win32 specific
tricks, and when they do, it often compromizes the unix-like feel that is a major feature
of Cygwin.

If cygwin used the unambiguous POSIX file flags and had close
to 100% compatibility with a unix filesystem (no pathname
ambiguity, case sensitive file names, valid filename characters
of \ < > : etc) then there would be little concern for security,
and it would be very rational to go with the unix flavor port.