apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Compiling APR with _UNICODE flag breaks Win32
Date Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:59:58 GMT
At 01:27 PM 9/30/2004, you wrote:
>I found that enabling Unicode support in the Win32 APR project breaks many
>functions that rely on the Win32 API, including (at least)
>"apr_app_initialize( )" and "apr_file_copy( )".  Specifically, setting the
>following compile flag:
>
># /D "_UNICODE"
>
>Or enabling "Use Unicode Character Set" in the General property tab
>(automatically sets said flag) causes the "apr_file_copy( )" function to
>fail in "filestat.c" at line 258:

David,

first, you aren't allowed to change such flags while building apr.
Just don't do it... but beyond that...

It's POINTLESS!  APR is already utf-8 on Win32.  NOT Unicode
(and I've heard no intention of directly supporting unicode,
although I see no reason why someone couldn't create a trivial
wrapper to do so, on any platform.)

But better yet - we _should_ still be using ALL Win32FooW() calls
in the win32 build.  All of the conversion is under the hood
between utf-8 and wchar (it's a trivial and very fast conversion.)

There _should_ be no problem with that flag when building your
own code against APR.  If there is, that problem should be fixed.

Bill