apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Hello :-)
Date Tue, 28 Sep 2004 20:30:59 GMT
At 02:49 PM 9/28/2004, apr@nsa.co.il wrote:

>> First and foremost is httpd server.  Version 2.1 (available from
>> http://httpd.apache.org/dev/dist/) is the version that builds
>> against APR 1.0, just drop apr and apr-util under it's srclib/ tree.
>> For Win32, also drop apr-iconv in there.
>
>What's the role of the apr-iconv package? What do I do when I want to
>compile my application under Un*x? Does it have defines that will simply
>not include the apr-iconv source? Ideally I would like to have a shared
>source tree for all platforms.

Win32 does not have the iconv library.  We are considering moving to
the BSD distribution of iconv with Win32 specific patches, rather than
attempting to maintain a win32 flavor.  For that reason, apr-iconv
should not be considered a permanent fixture.

>> This is already noted as an issue with 1.0 - for 0.9 it shouldn't
>> adversely affect you.  But we hope you stick with release 1.0 and
>> look forward to our 1.0.1 release which should allow you to configure
>> apr without ldap on unix.  On win32, ldap is always available to APR.
>
>Why do I need LDAP to begin with? And why in a portable runtime?

Don't use apr-util if you don't want such features.  apr-util are
utility accessors to help provide for portable ldap, xlate and other
system library features.

If it doesn't relate to another library, you will find it in apr.
If it relates to external libraries, e.g. database, ldap, iconv,
etc, you will find it in apr-util.

Because those libraries have small discrepancies, but the authors
needed a modestly portable interface to basic database, conversion
and authentication features, the apr-util project was born.

>Another issue we discovered today is a conflict of APR with STL. Is this a
>known issue? When STL is added into the project, we get the following
>error:
>
>   error C2955: 'allocator' : use of class template requires template
>argument list

If you search the archives, I recall something about that.  Feel free
to offer a patch of course.

Bill