apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Hello :-)
Date Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:27:52 GMT
At 01:14 PM 9/28/2004, you wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>We're starting a new open source project, and are looking into using APR
>for our portable framework.

Wonderful!  Once you have a beta release, we would love to include
you in the list of APR-based projects!

>We started with the Win32 side first, and found out that the DSP and DSW
>had to be converted to CRLF since Visual Studio 6.0 could not recognize
>those files properly.

Simple enough - use apr/build/lineends.pl

Posting -win32-src.zip flavors, including exporting makefiles, has been
on my list of round tuits, thanks for the nudge :)

>We're wondering if there's a nice reference project we can take a look at,
>that compiles well on Win32 and Linux.

First and foremost is httpd server.  Version 2.1 (available from
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/dist/) is the version that builds
against APR 1.0, just drop apr and apr-util under it's srclib/ tree.
For Win32, also drop apr-iconv in there.

>Another issue that arose was the dependency of the code on LDAP. To get it
>to compile, we had to download Novel's ldap implementation +
>libraries/headers. Is there a way to get around this?

This is already noted as an issue with 1.0 - for 0.9 it shouldn't
adversely affect you.  But we hope you stick with release 1.0 and
look forward to our 1.0.1 release which should allow you to configure
apr without ldap on unix.  On win32, ldap is always available to APR.

Bill