apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: renaming apr_filetype enum entries
Date Sat, 18 Sep 2004 08:03:45 GMT
At 10:03 PM 9/17/2004, Max Bowsher wrote:
>Stas Bekman wrote:
>>William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>
>>>I don't object to the new names, but find it pretty absurd
>>>to start deprecating interfaces the month we roll out 1.0.
>>
>>You mean, I've missed the train?
>>
>>Well, we are about to freeze the mod_perl 2 API, and we would like to have
>>non-ambiguous constants. So I'm not sure how to proceed from here.

If you release mod_perl with those identifiers, you will be bound
to APR 1.1 - and httpd 2.1-dev is keyed to APR 1.0 at this time.
You must use APR 1.0 constants to be compatible with 2.2 when it's
released unless httpd adopts an APR 1.1.

Remember, new features get a minor version bump from now on, not
just another subversion bump.

See: http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html

>Well, the APR_ namespace is non-ambiguously APR's, and APR itself can ensure sanity within
that namespace - what more is required?

Legibility is important too, so I've agreed with Stas,
in principal, with his renaming suggestions.  Unfortuantely,
I didn't see enough other people comment about them to adopt
any of the proposed changes, for or against :(

>Personally, I think it's good that APR's constant names aren't needlessly bloated in length.

It's nice to have shorthand, and amusing that most Java developers
consider the terminal width to be 96 characters these days :)

I wouldn't consider the longhand needlessly bloated, however.

Bill