apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: Making pool 3 times faster on WIN32]
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2004 20:23:43 GMT
At 01:32 PM 9/1/2004, Mladen Turk wrote:
>Bill Stoddard wrote:
>
>>>Not sure what's the total httpd's time spent for palloc,
>>>but I suppose it's quite a large value.
>>I saw no significant difference serving a 500 byte file:
>>Keep in mind that the whole idea behind APR pools is to minimize calls to the native
memory allocators (malloc/heap).  If your benchmark recycled the pool each time you did an
allocation, the 3x difference is not suprising, but that is a somewhat artifical benchmark
imho.

>Yes, it seems that the number of times the allocator is actually calling
>malloc/free is low compared to the palloc calls.

Yes - httpd tends to perform a rather small number of malloc/free
operations - well, if you aren't using some add-in modules such
as svn which have more atomic memory units to free up.

>Sorry for the noise :)

I don't consider it noise.  Please don't dismiss this patch
soely on the basis that it offers small benefit to httpd.  There
are other applications that rely on APR, I'd love to see the
concept of this patch incorporated.  I'll spend cycles on it
myself after I finish reviewing the rather large list of patches
you recently submitted :)

Bill