apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Marr <gr...@alum.wpi.edu>
Subject Re: [OT] Developer lists and Reply-To header
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:03:52 GMT
At 07:20 AM 9/23/2004, Mladen Turk wrote:
>Is there any reason why apr, apr-util, httpd mailing lists have
>Reply-To header set to the sender and not to the list itself. I
>think almost all other lists has the 'Replay-To' header set to the
>list itself. I mean, I'm receiving the messages from the list and
>not from the particular poster, so I should reply to the list, right?

Search for
reply-to considered harmful
on Google and you'll find more information than you ever wanted to
read about both sides of the issue.

>I found myself couple of times replying to the original sender by
>default, while my intention was to reply to the list. The solution
>is either to 'reply to all' (why would anyone wish to receive two
>messages about the same subject?) or doing that by hand.

The big question is which is worse, sending a message to the list
when your intention was to send it to a single person, sending a
message to a single person when your intention was to send it to the
list.  You'll find large numbers of people on each side.

Some mailing list software is smart enough to not send an extra copy
to members that will be receiving it directly.