apr-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: Making pool 3 times faster on WIN32]
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2004 07:31:35 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Yes - httpd tends to perform a rather small number of malloc/free
> operations - well, if you aren't using some add-in modules such
> as svn which have more atomic memory units to free up.
>
>>Sorry for the noise :)
>
> I don't consider it noise.  Please don't dismiss this patch
> soely on the basis that it offers small benefit to httpd.  There
> are other applications that rely on APR, I'd love to see the
> concept of this patch incorporated.

Well, it was just to prove the possibility of such approach.
Using heaps just to replace the malloc/free wouldn't be much,
if we don't use all the heap memory benefits.

The heaps itself are pretty much like pools, and with XP+ you
can even have a low fragmentation heaps, that can be used
directly to the palloc calls, without the need to maintain the
memory node list. Each pool can have it's own heap with the
allocator maintaining that heap list.

Would something like 'memory/win32/apr_pools.c' be possible?
Selectable perhaps at compile time.

>  I'll spend cycles on it
> myself after I finish reviewing the rather large list of patches
> you recently submitted :)

Please do.
I'm sorry for not being able to post that earlier for 1.0 release,
but I'm sure that the 1.0.1 will follow shortly :)

Regards,
MT.