apr-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Stoddard <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: Making pool 3 times faster on WIN32]
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2004 01:13:50 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>>>I saw no significant difference serving a 500 byte file:
>>>Keep in mind that the whole idea behind APR pools is to minimize calls to the
native memory allocators (malloc/heap).  If your benchmark recycled the pool each time you
did an allocation, the 3x difference is not suprising, but that is a somewhat artifical benchmark
imho.

>>Yes, it seems that the number of times the allocator is actually calling
>>malloc/free is low compared to the palloc calls.
>

> Yes - httpd tends to perform a rather small number of malloc/free
> operations - well, if you aren't using some add-in modules such
> as svn which have more atomic memory units to free up.
>

>>Sorry for the noise :)
>

> I don't consider it noise.  Please don't dismiss this patch
> soely on the basis that it offers small benefit to httpd.  There
> are other applications that rely on APR, I'd love to see the
> concept of this patch incorporated.  I'll spend cycles on it
> myself after I finish reviewing the rather large list of patches
> you recently submitted :)
>
> Bill

I am certainly not opposed to the patch in principle even though it does nothing for httpd
performance. Just
don't want it to break httpd :-)

Bill