apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Fwd: clean OSX build -- compile error.
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:21:53 GMT
On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 12:08:10PM -0600, Paul Querna wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 13:01 -0500, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> > This is from a thread on the dev@subversion.tigris.org list.  But I'm
> > guessing that apache would be affected by this problem too.
> >
> > The mysterious thing is, I had no problems building and installing
> > httpd-2.0.51 from scratch on this same system.  So why is it different?
> >   Any thoughts?
> >

> Apache is not affected because it does not add '-std=c89' to the cflags.
>
> Regardless, I think we should fix apr_portable.h.  This is a bug that
> many people will hit on OSX

By adding a conditional #define inline hack? Ick.

Portable software will not use -std=c89 by default, because it's asking
the compiler to be less lenient than normal.  The fact that this
eventually found a bug in a system header on some platform is not really
very surprising.  Don't use -std=c89 if you don't want to risk breaking
stuff.

SVN only seems to enable this for --enable-maintainer-mode with:

        case "$host" in
        *freebsd*|*linux*)
          CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -std=c89"
          ;;
        esac

so I'm not sure why Ben is getting it on Mac OS anyway.

joe