apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: memory analysis
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2004 08:01:52 GMT
On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 02:26:20AM -0400, Stephen Ince wrote:
> Hi,
>     I am trying to find memory errors in my application and I am having a
> hard time. I tried setting APR_POOL_DEBUG=2 but it is catching the errors.

Using --enable-pool-debug in conjunction with a malloc() checker like
ElectricFence is a good bet; this will catch heap buffer overruns (and
underruns if efence is configured appropriately).  To catch stack
overflows you need a smarter compiler, APR can't help with that.

ISTR someone once had a hack which enabled efence-like mprotect() stuff
inside apr_pools.c... hmmmm, Google says it was Greg but is refusing to
divulge actually patches.

joe