apr-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: Pollset: Thread Safe & More
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:08:59 GMT
On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 11:38 +0100, Joe Orton wrote:
> So I'm worried this patch is really solving the problem in the wrong
> place.  The thing you are exporting here in the APR API, "is the
> apr_pollset_* interface thread-safe in _add and _remove", seems really
> horrible.  Either an API is thread-safe, or it isn't.  Making that a
> *per-platform* flag seems like really bad design.

I agree with your conclusion here.  It isn't a good design to have
platform specific properties like thread safety.

Part of my goal was to avoid using KQueue/EPoll directly in the Event
MPM, and to keep it using the APR Generic Functions.  I think that I
will just make an ap_ex_pollset_* set of functions to wrap EPoll/KQueue
and include them directly in the Event MPM.

-Paul Querna