apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: 1.0
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2004 17:17:21 GMT
--On Monday, August 9, 2004 8:57 PM +0400 malc <malc@pulsesoft.com> wrote:

> Condition variables on Win32 are broken, if you are going to label
> APR with 1.0 mark and release it right now, without mentioning this
> fact in big red letters, this would essentially be equal to releasing
> a trojan horse - a free, attractive, portable thing with a stamp of
> greatness (Apache) in its name, but deadly.

The number of Win32 developers who are knowledgeable about this area are
fairly small, so any patches you may have are certainly welcomed.  However, I
will point out that it's probably been that way for years without anyone
caring enough to fix it.

I don't know a thing about Win32, so I'm of no help.  And, suspect that to be
the case for the majority of APR developers.  I also doubt it's a problem in
the API - so fixes to the Win32 condition variables can be done in APR 1.0.1
if someone steps up and fixes it.  But, a 1.0 showstopper?  I say no.  But,
adding a warning to the 1.0 release notes sounds fine to me.  -- justin