apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: 1.0.0 RC5
Date Tue, 03 Aug 2004 04:06:44 GMT
At 12:53 PM 8/2/2004, David Reid wrote:
>Graham Leggett wrote:
>
>>William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>
>>>I would be +1 to simply remove auth_ldap from APR 1.0, and reintroduce
>>>the entire feature in the new APR 1.1 (which we can start development
>>>on immediately.)  And that presumes httpd 2.1/2.2 will depend on the
>>>1.1 release of apr-util.
>>>I hate to hold up 1.0 any further.  I would hate to release apr-util as-in
>>>even more.  Thoughts or comments about my solution above?
>
>Why (I feel I have to ask) is this ONLY just coming to light now?

Well, it isn't.  Several APR contributors have griped that apr-util would
become nothing more than a garbage pit of hacks-upon-hacks around
broken/inconsistent APIs.  My only ldap hacks to date were on win32.

Now I'm deeply immersed in config and build issues for many more
unix platforms, and was hacking in Sun LDAP SDK support.  It's when
I discovered apr-util's implementation of ldap was valueless for writing
portable code.  If our code doesn't facilitate portable code, it doesn't
belong in APR.

So I threw it to the list, drop the existing implementation?  I'm NOT
suggesting we put it back in before APR 1.0 release.

>How much work is needed to fix it? What exactly is broken about it?

Right now it does little.  Graham and I agree on the right solution, to
abstract out the logic to do SSL connections in a portable way.  There
will be no need for the 'application developer' to know which toolkit
they are using.  We will make that transparent.

>>Ripping it out is a whole lot of work best avoided IMHO.
>
>Let's take the course of least action shall we?

Least action is fork 1.1, cvs rm the offensive files, and change about
10 lines of the makefiles and rip out the ldap detection.  Pretty trivial.

Deprecating means we support this junk till 2.0 releases.

Bill