apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: 1.0.0 RC5
Date Tue, 03 Aug 2004 03:58:38 GMT
At 04:04 PM 8/2/2004, Graham Leggett wrote:
>David Reid wrote:
>
>>>The main fooness is in apr_ldap_url.c. Can we not mark this code as deprecated
in v1.0, which should hopefully warn alert coders that the code should not be used, and can
be pointed out to coders who are asleep otherwise if they moan.

>>How much work is needed to fix it? What exactly is broken about it?
>
>It needs an overhaul as it does some "wrong" things. Fixing it can wait till APR v1.1.
In the meantime we can mark what's there as deprecated so as to not
>cause confusion.

If they need the broken implementation, they can keep using 0.9 - in the
meantime let's design the right interface by 1.1 and completely REMOVE,
not 'deprecate' the existing flavor.

Deprecation isn't getting rid of a feature until the next release.  This IS
the next release, so just branch 1.1-dev, and remove the ldap files on the
1.0 branch, knock out the config.m4 magic, and we have a valid 1.0 release.

>>Let's take the course of least action shall we?
>>Is this release creating a record for being the longest in history?
>>I'm away for most of the rest of the week. I had hoped to have RC5 rolled today, but
guess that isn't going to happen now. *sigh*

>I have added a note that the two offending LDAP source files (apr_ldap_compat and apr_ldap_url)
are deprecated subject to an overhaul.

>Quick - roll RC5!

I'll vote -1 on this sheist - however that's just a vote.  Shall see if anyone
else is this disgusted.

David, if we are at 1.0, shall we branch 1.1 right now and I'll do the dirty
deed myself tomorrow night at the hotel?

Bill