apr-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Elrick <br...@elrick.ca>
Subject Re: APR/Subversion "make install" bug
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:47:19 GMT
Patrik R├ądman wrote:

>I have umask set to 077. When I run "make install" for Subversion,
>libapr and libaprutil get only "-rwx------" permissions, which causes
>this error:
>% svn
>svn: error while loading shared libraries: libaprutil-0.so.0: cannot open
>shared object file: No such file or directory
>Please fix the makefile to set correct permissions.
umask is considered a 'local' setting; there are many reasons to set it
to various values depending on your local circumstances.  It would not
make sense to set it in the makefile of a software package; someone else
would have a problem with that overriding their umask settings and
wondering why this was done.

If you install software as one user and run it as another, then you
should take ownership of understanding that you must temporarily set the
first user's umask to a sensible value (022?) when you do the install step.

View raw message