apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHO...@novell.com>
Subject Re: apr-util/ldap/ - sink or really swim to 1.0 release?
Date Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:53:54 GMT
I agree with Graham.  There are differences between the platform
implementations of LDAP especially when it comes to SSL.  As it stands,
those differences are being handled in the util_ldap module with
#ifdef's.  So let's move that code to apr_util where platform
differences are supposed to be handled.

Brad

Brad Nicholes
Senior Software Engineer
http://www.novell.com

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> A.  Pitch this code from apr-util before someone actually uses it
(again)?

The code isn't dead, so pitching it is a step backwards. Let's fix it.

> B.  Namespace-protect what needs protecting, and actually offer
>     useful, abstract ldap create/close connection apr_xxx() fns,
with
>     registered cleanups for odd exceptions like novell's sdk?
>
> My basic thinking - if httpd's util_ldap.c needs ANY #ifdef magic to
> work, we got it wrong in apr-util.  Remove all this cruft back to
that
> module if we are leaving these decisions to the user.

APR is a portability layer, and this should extend to portability of
things like LDAP too.

The #indef stuff in util_ldap definitely should not be there, it should

be moved into the apr_util code.

Regards,
Graham