apr-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: apr-iconv RPM spec file + supporting changes
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2004 13:00:38 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:

> Old Unixes and non-Unixes don't have iconv(), so yes, there is certainly
> a set of platforms on which RPM will build but there is no native
> iconv().  It's not a big deal, just so long as you're aware that you
> probably don't *need* apr-iconv, and it's probably better to use the
> native iconv() where available.

Cool.

I am running into a hassle testing this though. On my platform (Linux)
apr-iconv isn't needed, and so make does nothing. This causes "make
install" to bomb out when an attempt is made to build an RPM.

What would be far more user friendly is if a suitable friendly error
message (eg "this platform already supports iconv(), and so apr-iconv is
not required and cannot be built") be output on make so that it doesn't
fail in a strange way.

Any ideas on how to achieve this?

Regards,
Graham