apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr configure.in
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2004 07:32:36 GMT
On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 12:04:48AM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Wednesday, July 7, 2004 7:40 AM +0000 jorton@apache.org wrote:
>
> >jorton      2004/07/07 00:40:12
> >
> >  Modified:    poll/unix poll.c
> >               .        configure.in
> >  Log:
> >  * poll/unix/poll.c (backend_cleanup): Only define if using epoll/kqueue.
> >  (apr_pollset_destroy): Only run cleanup if using epoll/kqueue.
> >  (apr_pollset_add): Fix warning for ye olde platforms still using poll().
>
> I changed this from Paul's patch on purpose.  Why shouldn't we always
> define the cleanup even if we don't have kqueue or epoll?

Since we know the cleanup does nothing, defining it unnecessarily wastes
both a few bytes of code size and a few cycles at run-time. e.g. since
the cleanup is never registered for the non-epoll/kqueue case, running
apr_pool_cleanup_destroy() will iterate over the whole cleanup list
looking for it if apr_poll_destroy() is called.

> If we add Solaris's /dev/poll, we'd need a cleanup.  I see only the
> fallback implementation perhaps not needing it - almost any real
> implementation would.  I thought doing it your way makes the code a
> lot less clean.

The "unreal?" poll/select implementations will be used on the majority
of APR platforms and do *not* currently require a cleanup, no "perhaps"
about it.  This is just a minor optimisation with minor cleanliness cost
for the majority of platforms, I don't think it's a big deal.

joe