apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: apr pkgconfig use (apr.pc vs. apr-1.pc)
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2004 14:58:27 GMT
On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 10:45:54AM -0400, Greg Hudson wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 10:39, Joe Orton wrote:
> > This is done on HEAD: patches welcome for below to expedite removal of
> > ap[ru]-config.
> >
> > > The AP?_FIND_AP? macros in find_ap?.m4 need to be adjusted to take a
> > > minimum required library version argument, there's probably more...
>
> Would it be okay to make it take just a library version argument, no
> "minimum required"?  It means if an application wants to work against
> multiple major versions of APR, it has to implement its own fallback
> logic.

If apr-config is not renamed in the 0.9 branch (which is really required
for compatibility), then I guess yes, make the argument optional, and
have logic:

  AP?_FIND_AP?(without extra version argument)
   => use apr-1-config if found else apr-config if found

  AP?_FIND_AP?(requires version N)
   => use apr-N-config if found else no fallback

the app can always just call the macro again with a different N.

(BTW note that the apr-config script is only named apr-N-config by "make
install"; it's still called "apr-config" in a build tree)

joe