apr-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: FreeBSD APR patch for threads
Date Sat, 03 Jul 2004 10:24:15 GMT
On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 15:43 -0400, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> [..snip..]
> This patch basically does the following:
>  - for the latest versions of FreeBSD, puts in the correct flags for
>    linking in threads
>  - for older versions of FreeBSD, i.e FreeBSD 4.x, disables threads by
>    default (which is what APR does right now)

I do not believe there is any reason to disable thread support in APR
itself.  Even on 4.x where the native threading is horrible, and the
Worker MPM is broken.

Disabling threads by default in APR because of a broken model in HTTPd
does not make any sense.  When we compile without threads, we also
disable things like apr_reslist.  Personally, I have used apr_relist
+prefork MPM on FreeBSD 4.x/5.x without any problems.

Why do you want to disable thread support by default?  Is there any
reason besides problems with the Worker MPM?

-Paul Querna