apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: FreeBSD APR patch for threads
Date Sat, 03 Jul 2004 01:24:38 GMT
--On Friday, July 2, 2004 1:22 PM -0700 Aaron Bannert <aaron@clove.org>
wrote:

>> This patch basically does the following:
>>  - for the latest versions of FreeBSD, puts in the correct flags for
>>    linking in threads
>>  - for older versions of FreeBSD, i.e FreeBSD 4.x, disables threads by
>>    default (which is what APR does right now)
>
> I'm +1 for this patch in concept, but I don't have a FreeBSD machine
> with an osreldate recent enough to test this patch.

As noted in httpd's STATUS, FreeBSD 5.2 isn't sufficient as the default
thread library there (libc_r) still breaks with httpd's worker.  I've also
seen breakage with Subversion if threads are enabled: the commit for SSL
cert prompts will not display correctly.  If you play with libmap.conf to
use libkse, httpd will serve pages correctly with 5.2.  The good news is
that 5.3 (and -CURRENT now, I believe) will switch to libkse by default...

That said, I'm not quite clear what the semantics of kern.osreldate are -
will that block off any 5.2.x (i.e. 5.2.2 if that is released) and only
allow current -CURRENT and eventually 5.3 and beyond?  My 5.2.1 boxes
report '502010', which is less than '502102' - so it would prevent them
from enabling threads.  I just want to make sure that it doesn't trigger on
a 5.2.2 which, AIUI, will still use libc_r.  If it does block 5.2.x, then
this patch gets +1.  Regardless, this is not something that must go into
APR 1.0 - we can commit it after 1.0 (which should have been today!).  --
justin