apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHO...@novell.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] cgi_exec_info_t: detached & addrspace fieldscombined
Date Mon, 28 Jun 2004 05:56:45 GMT
  The problem which I'm sure Jean-Jacques stated in his private email
and has been discussed on the @apr and @httpd lists, is that if patch
(log.c r1.145) is  ever back ported to the 2.0 branch (which is
currently the plan), log rotation and CGIs will be broken on NetWare.
This means that if you hold off on this patch for APR 1.1, it will still
have to be back ported to 1.0 and 0.9.x anyway to prevent a regression
in functionality on NetWare.  The bottom line is that APR just doesn't
support the NetWare concept of a separate address space and the proposal
that Jean-Jacques is making should allow for it without impacting other
platforms or requiring a major MMN bump.

Brad Nicholes
Senior Software Engineer

>>> "David Reid" <david@jetnet.co.uk> Sunday, June 27, 2004 1:06:46 PM
Can someone clarify the status of this patch?

I wasn't planning on including it in the 1.0 tarball as I don't see how
could test it in time and making an PAI at this late stage isn't a good
is it?

However, in a private reply Jean-Jacques stated that he hoped this to
into 2.0.51, which would imply it goes into our 0.9 tree. This is a
worrying as we'd then be in the situation whereby 0.9 had something
that 1.0

I'm tempted to say that this should ONLY be applied for 1.1 and
which would obviously mean that the httpd 2.0 tree wouldn't get the fix
can we all say not ideal?

I'd be interested in hearing what people think.

> To replace the addrspace field that was added in the cgi_exec_info_t
> struct in mod_cgi.h I will like to propose extending the use of the
> detached (apr_int32_t) field in cgi_exec_info_t and apr_procattr_t
> structs.
> Currently that field is set to 0 by default and 1 if the process to
> created will be a detached one.
> What I will like to do to is to add an address space option to set
> the second bit of that field in order to flag the new process to
> or not in a new address space.
> The detached field in cgi_exec_info_t is set to 0 for all platforms
> is used
> only in mod_netware and mod_win32.
> The changes will need to be back ported in order for NetWare to work
> after
> log.c r r1.145 is back ported.

View raw message