apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@rkbloom.net>
Subject Re: documented 1.0 showstoppers
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2004 17:35:06 GMT

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> --On Thursday, June 3, 2004 9:53 AM -0400 rbb@rkbloom.net wrote:
> > Dude, the API _can't_ work.  This isn't a matter of being able to slap a
> > fix on it.  The locking API isn't portable, and until it is changed in
> > some way, can't be made portable.  So, either we rip out the whole locking
> Can we fix it in 2.0?  Sure.  No reason that a 1.0 release prevents that.
> And, we might be able to fix it in 1.1, but it depends how we handle the
> specifics.  However, 1.0 does not have to be perfect!

It can't be fixed in 1.1, because the whole API needs to be re-thought.
As for why I haven't fixed it yet, I don't have the time.  I'm really
sorry, but a new job and a new child kind of do that to you.  I'm not
asking 1.0 to be perfect, but I am asking that we not release an API that
we know for a fact does not work.  That just isn't honest to our users.

View raw message