apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: libtool & pattern match fixes for build/get-version.sh
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:43:09 GMT
Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com> writes:

[...]

> The ltmaj fix is not necessary for APR, since APR embeds the major
> version in the library name to allow parallel installs of different
> major versions, so always passing CURRENT == AGE as the libtool
> interface versions is OK.
>
> I'm a little hesitant about gratuitously changing the soname just
> before a major release, and after 1.0 it will be too late.

No worries, it's a minor polish issue that allows the
APR_DOTTED_VERSION to match the generated soname. I
brought it up now because it wasn't an issue in the 0.9.X
releases.  If binary compatibility has been stable since
apr started generating libapr-1.so.0.0.0, then changing the
soname would be a bad idea.  OTOH if it has broken recently,
then bumping the number might be worth consideration.

> Is there a reason why you need the get-version.sh script included in
> APR to behave like this, rather than just using a local modification
> in the copy in the libapreq2 tree?

No- libapreq2's dependency on apr is solely through apr-config.
Whatever decision is made on the soname will not impact libapreq2.
However, adjusting its name to apr-1-config will likely us
avoid problems in the future (since we're tied to httpd-2.0's ABI).

--
Joe Schaefer