apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: apr-iconv 1.0
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:12:52 GMT
At 12:35 PM 6/25/2004, Branko Čibej wrote:
>David Reid wrote:
>
>>If the answer to the question "does what we have now work" is "yes" then
>>apr-util 1.0 is good to go.
>>
>+1
>
>The apr-iconv API is unfortunate, and the fact that it doesn't support transliteration
like GNU libiconv is worse, but most uses of apr-iconv will be through the apr-util xlate
wrapper, so it's not so important to clean up the API.

>Also, if we're going to change the API, we might as well move base it on the iconv-2.0
version (we're currently using the 1.0 as a baseline).

Is there a non-[l]gpl iconv 2?  I found one is freebsd ports, that I think is the
current (and has a new maintainer.)  Want to be certain we are speaking
about the same one.

I'm tempted to say we explicitly declare libapriconv as a private library of
libaprutil, just as the bundled expat is, with no public api support.  That
simplifies things to simply @doxygenate the apr-iconv header to say
this is an internal api for use by apr-util, and pointing them to those
functions.

The goal would be to allow us to redo the latest bsd-licensed iconv to
support other platforms, with or without apr, as an opaque dependency.

Bill