apr-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: documented 1.0 showstoppers
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 19:43:22 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 11:51:18AM -0700, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>There is one more problem. Not the whole API is tested and many APIs are
>>tested only partially. IMHO, you want to run coverage tests first and only
>>after passing a sensible coverage threshold, should 1.0 be released.
>

> Feel free.
>
> APR(UTIL) has been around a long time. Whatever people are interested in,
> it has been used, and therefore tested. If it hasn't, then hey... it might
> not matter than much.
>
> And when people start to use it? If it is broken? Hey. That is what 1.0.1
> is all about.

You have a problem here, 1.0.1 will have to be backwards compatible with
1.0.0. So if now you have API problems which went so far unnoticed (or
ignored) you can't commit to them in 1.0.0.

Sure, here is a perfect solution for that problem. Introduce a new doxygen
marker. And start marking those solid, used and tested APIs as ready for 1.0.
Release 1.0  which will have both kinds. The ones that are untested should be
marked as 'subject to change', and then there is no requirement to have them
tested.

> If you want to increase coverage testing, then go ahead. By all means. But
> I'm with David: what exists on June 16 is going to be 1.0.0. If you don't
> like what that will be, then apply your efforts to fix it.

My efforts to fix it go totally ignored so far.