apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: libtool & pattern match fixes for build/get-version.sh
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:02:23 GMT
On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 01:02:58PM -0400, Joe Schaefer wrote:
> We've been using the build/get-version.sh script in
> httpd-apreq-2.  The following patch corrects the
> libtool version string miscalculation (we let libtool
> generate the shared library version for libapreq2, so
> it's pretty well-tested).
>
> The patch also includes a patch to correctly handle
> multi-digit numbers (the original regexp will drop
> all but the final digit due to the greediness of the
> opening .* pattern.

The sed fix is clearly good, thanks.

The ltmaj fix is not necessary for APR, since APR embeds the major
version in the library name to allow parallel installs of different
major versions, so always passing CURRENT == AGE as the libtool
interface versions is OK.

I'm a little hesitant about gratuitously changing the soname just before
a major release, and after 1.0 it will be too late.  Is there a reason
why you need the get-version.sh script included in APR to behave like
this, rather than just using a local modification in the copy in the
libapreq2 tree?

Regards,

joe