apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: apr_proc_create() cmdtype flavors and environment inheritance; incompatible API change desired?
Date Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:27:57 GMT
On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 11:42:19AM -0400, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> whether or not the envionment is inherited should be orthogonal to some
> other details of starting the program (via shell, searching or not
> searching PATH), but API does not reflect that
> I need a way to start the new process via the shell *and* inherit the
> environment of the calling process, but there is no such support at present.
> attached patch simplify_patch changes how the app tells APR whether or not
> environment should be inherited in general, reducing the number of cmdtype
> enums and at the same time increasing the number of ways apr_proc_create
> can be used; this seems appropriate for 1.0

Sounds good in theory, but do all these combos have direct maps to an
exec* though? I don't see an exec* which takes an env pointer and
searches $PATH for the program, for instance...

> attached patch extend_patch adds yet another cmdtype flavor so app can
> specify to run the command via the shell and have it inherit the
> environment of the calling process; this seems appropriate for 0.9

Actually, doesn't that happen by default already on Unix?  It's passing
the env pointer through to execve, right?

View raw message