apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: documented 1.0 showstoppers
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2004 19:21:10 GMT
On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 01:35:06PM -0400, rbb@rkbloom.net wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> > Can we fix it in 2.0?  Sure.  No reason that a 1.0 release prevents that.
> > And, we might be able to fix it in 1.1, but it depends how we handle the
> > specifics.  However, 1.0 does not have to be perfect!
>
> It can't be fixed in 1.1, because the whole API needs to be re-thought.
> As for why I haven't fixed it yet, I don't have the time.  I'm really
> sorry, but a new job and a new child kind of do that to you.  I'm not
> asking 1.0 to be perfect, but I am asking that we not release an API that
> we know for a fact does not work.  That just isn't honest to our users.

As Justin pointed out, the users seem to be just fine with it sitting in
there. *TODAY*. So why would they suddenly be unhappy with it tomorrow?

Release the damned thing as-is.

1.0.0 won't be perfect, but maybe 1.0.1 or 1.1.0 or 2.0.0 will be. As Jeff
says, we'll never get there, and never find out at this rate.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/