apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: documented 1.0 showstoppers
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2004 17:38:10 GMT
--On Thursday, June 3, 2004 9:53 AM -0400 rbb@rkbloom.net wrote:

> Dude, the API _can't_ work.  This isn't a matter of being able to slap a
> fix on it.  The locking API isn't portable, and until it is changed in
> some way, can't be made portable.  So, either we rip out the whole locking

Can we fix it in 2.0?  Sure.  No reason that a 1.0 release prevents that.
And, we might be able to fix it in 1.1, but it depends how we handle the
specifics.  However, 1.0 does not have to be perfect!

Most importantly, if people don't care to fix it in the next two weeks
(say), then I think it's not important enough to be a 1.0 showstopper and
hence not worth my voting -1 on any release that doesn't contain that fix.
We've lived long enough with this API that 'can't work' that I believe it's
not *required* for APR 1.0.  Desirable?  Perhaps, but no one is stopping
you from changing it before we tag 1.0.  -- justin