apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <...@manyfish.co.uk>
Subject Re: blocking bucket reads on non-blocking sockets
Date Fri, 14 May 2004 23:25:17 GMT
On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 04:16:34PM -0700, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Cliff Woolley wrote:
> >On Fri, 14 May 2004, Stas Bekman wrote:
> >

> >>So, who changed that in 2.0.49? It worked just fine pre-2.0.48. The
> >>guilty party please stand up and explain. This change causes a
> >>serious breakage in the protocol handlers and filters on those
> >>affected platforms. I suppose apr doesn't have tests for that, and
> >>that's why the problem wasn't caught when it was introduced. Thanks.

Oh, the trigger for this is as we discussed before, simply the fact that
2.0.49 leaves sockets with O_NONBLOCK set (after the multi-listen DoS
security fix) on some platforms.

This doesn't matter for httpd since any request-level filters will use
the apr_socket when it has a non-zero timeout set (by the net_time
filter), in which case it acts just like a blocking socket.

The problem is as you say in protocol-level filters/handlers; there, the
apr_socket has no timeout set, so it really does act like a non-blocking
socket.

joe