apr-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: precalculating hash values for apr_hash_t
Date Sat, 17 Apr 2004 21:54:27 GMT
rbb@rkbloom.net wrote:
> How are you computing your pre-computed hash values?  Did you copy the hashing
> algorithm from APR's find_entry?
>
> My biggest concern with this function is that the caller's hash function must
> agree with APR's hash function or the hash table won't work.  What will happen
> if APR changes the hash algorithm in a later release, that would break any
> program that uses this set function?  For these reasons, I don't think this
> function should be included in APR.
>
> A better approach to this, IMHO, is to create a new apr_hash_make function that
> allows a user to pass in a hash function.  This way, your program could
> pre-compute and cache the hash values.  When apr_hash_set or apr_hash_get are
> called, they will call your hashing function, which could then retrieve the
> correct value from the hash.

FWIW, perl's hash entry lookup function's proto is:

   key_string, key_len, key_hash_str

So if key_hash_str is NULL perl will calculate the hash for you, if it's set
it'll use it instead. Same goes for the key string length. This allows you to
do your own caching and speed things up in certain situations. Perl also
exposes the hashing function, so you can pre-hash values at the server startup
and then re-use the hash values at run time. A big chunk of mod_perl 2.0's
infrastructure relied on that feature.

Perhaps apr could provide a similar accessor, and expose the hashing function.