apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <...@manyfish.co.uk>
Subject Re: Time for 1.0
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2004 21:07:28 GMT
On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 12:01:24PM -0800, Wilfredo Sánchez wrote:
>   We have release software (HTTPd, Subversion, ?) which builds from dev
> versions of APR, and that's highly broken for many reasons.  I think
> it's high time for a version 1 release.  There is always version 2 for
> the important thing that didn't make it in version 1.

0.9.x are not "dev versions" of of APR, it's the maintenance branch
which is committed to a stable API and ABI.  I don't see what's broken
about that.  Releasing APR 1.0 today does not solve any problems:

- httpd-2.0.x releases do not build against APR HEAD

- the combination, were it made possible, of an httpd-2.0.x release and
an APR 1.0 release, would have a different module ABI to previous 2.0.x
releases, so would need a different major MMN.  This defeats the point
of the 2.0 stable branch.

The fact that Subversion 1.0 releases refuse to build against released
versions of APR is a minor (and somewhat unnecessary) inconvenience
which is trivial to work around.  Having an APR 0.9.5 release would
solve that problem, not an APR 1.0 release.

Regards,

joe