apr-dev mailing list archives

From r..@rkbloom.net
Subject Re: Time for 1.0
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2004 18:35:05 GMT

< David meant to send this to the list, but hit the wrong button.  His message
is reproduced in it's entirity along with my response. >

Quoting David Reid <david@jetnet.co.uk>:

> > The biggest problem with releasing HEAD as 1.0, is that the TIMESUP status
> codes
> > don't work everywhere, and locks aren't portable.  Both of these changes
> will
> > break source compatibility and need to be fixed before 1.0.
>

> OK, so let's start a list of stuff that's broken and *MUST* be fixed prior
> to a 1.0.
>
> Also we should review STATUS.

The TIMESUP stuff is relatively easy, hopefully I'll have time to do that work
tonight.  The locks not being portable is a big PITA to fix.  I have a proposed
solution that nobody has commented on yet.

I am also very concerned that there are a lot more of these types of issues just
waiting to bite us, because our test suite just doesn't do it's job currently.
But, I am willing to release as long as everybody understands that we may be
forced to explode our API to fix the problems with APIs that just don't work
cross-platform.

Ryan