apr-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: PATCH: apr_reslist_invalidate
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:24:16 GMT

> Personally, I dislike using a random number to simulate a failure rate.

OK so far.  Perhaps the fact that my degree was maths and my first job
was in stochastic simulation makes me happier than some with them:-)

>	The
> purpose of the test suite isn't to emulate the real world where you need a
> failure rate.

I think we'd need something more sophisticated to emulate the real world.
The difficult case is when all resources on a reslist fail at once.

>	  All you need is one resource that has failed, so that you can
> test reslist_invalidate.

I don't think that's right.  My test generates instances where the number
of resources drops below the minimum, and we see new resources being
correctly generated.  A single resource failure won't catch that.

There is another issue where the whole thing fails - e.g. talking to
a backend that goes down.  We need a testcase to ensure it will fail
cleanly rather than go into an infinite loop.  If you'd like me to
attack that one, let me know.

--
Nick Kew