apr-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: PATCH: apr_reslist_invalidate
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2004 23:14:37 GMT
On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Aaron Bannert wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 03:09:09AM +0000, Nick Kew wrote:
> > Rationale: if an module gets a resource that proves to be bad (e.g.
> > a connection that's gone away), it shouldn't be returned to the
> > pool to be given out again.  We should invalidate it.
> >
> > I'm proposing the following patch, though I'm not sure whether
> > or not we should free_container in the event of destroy_resource
> > returning an error(?)
>
> Did this ever get committed? I don't see it in HEAD, so it seems like
> it may have been forgotten.

Nope, it got ignored[1], like everything else I've tried to contribute
to APR.  OK that's not much, but then getting consistently ignored isn't
really an encouragement to share my work.

OK, I know exactly why that happens: we all have a limited supply of
round tuits, and a third-party patch is going to be in contention
with higher-priority demands on your time.  Which leads me to wonder
if there could be a better way to submit proposed patches?

> FWIW, I'm +1 on the concept, and I'd be glad to test/commit.

Excellent!  Thank you.

>	 We'll
> also want to add some test code while we're at it.

You mean to reslist in particular, or apr_util in general?
If the former, would it help for me to revisit it?

[1] Except for Paul Querna - who wants if for exactly the same
    reasons I do but has no more privilege than I to commit.

--
Nick Kew