apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr-util/xlate xlate.c
Date Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:37:55 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 07:05:22AM -0500, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>
>>jorton@apache.org wrote:
>>
>>>jorton      2004/03/30 01:58:22
>>>
>>> Modified:    xlate    xlate.c
>>> Log:
>>> * xlate/xlate.c (check_sbcs): Remove function which made unsafe
>>> assumptions (a theoretical issue), and was buggy in not resetting the
>>> iconv handle on failure (the cause of at least one real issue).
>>> (apr_xlate_open): Updated caller.
>>
>>there is some additional work to be done with this...  I have a patch to
>>yank apr_xlate_sb_get() and modify the various apr-util callers of it, but
>>probably won't get it committed until tonight or tomorrow a.m....
>

> Yeah, I was going to commit the more radical changes separately...
> attached what I have.
>

>>apr-util 0.9 will mark the apr_xlate_sb_get() API deprecated, and of course
>>your fix to reset the iconv handle on failure needs to be in 0.9
>

> Actually I thought that the simple removal of check_sbcs() would be
> appropriate for 0.9 too, rather than wait for someone to find a case
> where it "does the wrong thing".

apr_xlate_sb_get() makes no sense without an sbcs check...  it is supposed to
be either for

i. code that knows that what its doing makes no sense if conversion is not
single-byte, and just wants to ask to sanity check

ii. code that wants to select simpler, faster buffer management if conversion
is single-byte

the situation where the app tells us to xlate between "foo" and "foo" is just a
small (and humorous) subset of intended purpose

removing apr_xlate_sb_get() is a change to a stable API; we don't even know if
there is any such charset for which current single-byte checking will die,
though of course the iconv handle reset bug needs to be fixed

>>additionally, the single-byte conversion routines need to be reworked to
>>not depend on the sbcs table, which now is purely an identity table which
>>is used when the to and from charsets are the same
>

> With just identity tables remaining, conv_byte is either a nullop or an
> error, so I removed it.

I would have expected that it would be changed to be a wrapper around the more
complex API.  Just because APR can't/won't figure out whether a conversion is
single-byte doesn't mean an application wants to code for the more general case
in situations where it knows the conversion is single-byte.