apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: nasty apr-util xlate bug
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:18:56 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:

> Can APR just hard-code a couple of EBCDIC<->something translation tables
> (#ifdef I_AM_EBCDIC) to solve these problems?  I'd be suprised if the
> iconv() adds that much overhead vs the translation table, if you're
> going to do the iconv_open() anyway.

I won't worry about that for now; maybe Apache (or some other app that
frequently does converstion of protocol data) needs to do something different
if it turns out to be too slow

> Anyway, you don't disagree that the current code "single-byte
> translation detection" code is unsafe and needs to be removed?

delete the internal detection/use of sbcs table at will, but I'm not ready to
give up on the convert-single-byte API, which is quite handly (a simplifying
factor for the app) in some circumstances