apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: [OT] lower the bar - was [PROPOSAL] Move APR to the subversion repository
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2004 14:02:29 GMT
Guenter Knauf wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>I'm against immediate adoption of SVN for purely community-based
>>reasons, but not for technical reasons. I believe that switching to SVN
>>will raise the bar to entry for new contributors, and I think we
>>should do whatever we can do to try and lower this bar. Unfortunately
>
> one other point I would like to to get around is that it seems I'm
 >now forced to get MSVC7 if I want to continue to follow the 2.1-dev
 >development on Win32. Since the atomic functions were introduced
 >last November, I'm no longer able to compile 2.1-dev. I've tried
 >to update the platform SDK, but couldnt get around that update
 >either (not a ASF problem, but M$); perhaps someone can point me
 > to an update which cleanly applies to MSVC6 on W2K, and fixes the
 >problem with the atomic functions?
> If not, and MSVC7 turns out as mandatory, this will certaily raise
 >the bar at least for Win32...

Not recommended, but when building on Win32 I always comment out the call to
InterlockedCompareExchangePointer() and just return NULL ;)

For better handling of this dependency, how can we check for 64-bit build at
compile time on Win32?  For a 64-bit build we really need to call
InterlockedCompareExchangePointer(), but for 32-bit build, calling
InterlockedCompareExchange() is fine and we can avoid the extra SDK dependency.